Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Whimsy

I went to the Museum of London on Sunday, mainly on the recommendation of one of the senior conservators at Hampton Court. Specifically, she told me I will love their mannequins Yes I know, that has to be one of the signs that you are a textile nerd.... but you are reading my blog so what do you expect? But before we get to that, I will talk about the rest of the museum.

I highly recommend the Museum of London because it uses inventive methods to make the experience exciting and interesting. And it has to, because it competes with some blockbuster museums in London, like the V&A and the British Museum. For example, the printing press has screens set up around it to make it look like it’s spitting out printed pages. They have replicas right next to the real garment so you can try it on and see it yourself (sorry- I promised this was the bit with no textiles, apparently I lie). Overall it does a good job of showing how the city has evolved through the ages and how material culture has changed with time. And it has some unique objects. As you wander around the roman gallery, you look out a window and find yourself looking at parts of the original London wall.



Okay, if you want to skip me gushing like a textile nerd, you should stop reading this post now. Otherwise...

The museum has a *SPECTACULAR* exhibit called the ‘Pleasure Garden’. It is in a secluded area and uses a video (projected on the walls) to compliment the display of costumes to show how urban parks flourished in the late 1700’s and early 1800’s. The mannequins are whimsical and interesting and pretty and... well, just at look at this.



I covet that brown Spencer jacket on the mannequin on the right.

Most of the hats and masks (*masks*, sigh) were made by Philip Treacy, who makes some of the most high-fashion millinery on the planet. One hat was made by the late Alexander McQueen. This enhances the fantastic pieces from their collection that are on display. Such as this.



That ship hat is original, which makes it all the more breathtaking. There were also figures that had reproduction costumes on, so you could look at them up close and touch them if you wanted to. Or in this part, means that mannequins on either side of the display case could interact with each other.



I can’t express enough how much I love this exhibit...I went and looked at it twice.

1 comment:

  1. I can only imagine that you truly was in Paradise! So happy you're loving you time over there, Hillary.
    P.S. I love the dress in the third picture. :)

    ReplyDelete