Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Car Trip in NS!


So I left Halifax a month ago but events in my life have kept me rather occupied (more on that later) so I’m only getting the last of my Maritime photos posted now. I’ll be brief, since it was a month ago.

My last Saturday in Nova Scotia was spent on an adventure with my buddy Barry. We had a vague plan but one very simple mission: drive out of Halifax and go look at some touristy stuff. We both found this enjoyable for different reasons: I got to go see some old, famous places and he got to see what those places looked like when they’re not swarmed with tourists. And there is definitely a  good reason why busloads of tourists don’t flock to Peggy’s Cove in late January/ early February:


It is very, very windy there and, when combined with winter weather, makes you very cold. However, as you can see from the photos it is very beautiful there.

But I can’t overemphasis how incredibly windy it was. It’s the kind of wind that tries to knock you over every 30 seconds. I was very happy that I had reconsidered my outfit and was wearing pants instead of a skirt.


While I didn’t get a shot of the famous lighthouse itself (because that would involve standing out in the open with nothing to hold onto and I didn’t want to faceplant on the rocks) I did get this lovely snap of the warning on the side of the lighthouse, which politely explains to you that if you are dumb enough to stand out at the edge of the sea in high winds there is a good chance you will end up in the water:


There were a lot of those warnings, for very good reason once I saw the surf:



We then got back in the car and drove to Lunenburg. Most of the stores and restaurants are closed in the winter, so for the most part we walked around town and looked at buildings. Given that the entire town is a national historic site, there was plenty to look at:





I can't decide if it's the style of the buildings themselves or the beautiful paint work that appeals to me so much:


We also encountered this pet store on one of the main streets:


So if you ever find yourself in need of elephant feed in Nova Scotia, you know where to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment