Thursday, February 3, 2011

The British Museum Part Three

My final post on the British Museum (for now) is on a newer section of the museum. We stumbled upon the Enlightenment gallery by accident- all we wanted to do was get out of the Mexican gallery, which was absolutely freezing. It's housed in part of the old library and displays objects as they would have been seen in the museum's early existence (late 1700's, early 1800's). All of the objects shown were also acquired around that time period. Did I mention that old libraries are beautiful?



What I liked about this section is that you are intended to wander from case to case, in whatever order you like. The British Museum is an overwhelming place and having a mixed-bag exhibit acts as a breather for your brain. Don't get me wrong- there is plenty to learn from this space and it is organized, but it's just done in a different way than the rest of the museum.

I also like the eclectic mix. It's not often when you walk by a case of Islamic ceramic painted tiles and find yourself looking at this.


I don't know what I enjoy more- the foot itself or that it is named 'Colossal Foot' (it's from Naples and it's Roman). There was also a giant toe from a statue, but since it was in a case it didn't photo well.

No comments:

Post a Comment