Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Mousetrap

Today I spent the afternoon at the St. Martin's Theatre and saw The Mousetrap, which is one of the things I really wanted to do during my time in London.



It's a mystery play written by Agatha Christie that has been running at this theatre for 59 years. Yes, that is a record. It takes place in the front room of a guest house in the English countryside, during a snow storm that keeps everyone stuck inside the place. A murder was committed in London and the police found evidence that the killer would strike again at this normally quite house. I can't tell you the ending, as they ask at the end of the play that you keep the secret to yourself, but I will say that it is a twist ending. I sat in the cheap seats but still had a really good view.

The acting is quite good and the actors that play the more eccentric characters put a lot of effort into it. One of the house guests is an overly-excitable architect who has a child-like personality (and the energy level to match). Another house guest is the mysterious foreigner who no one knows anything about. He has a dark sense of humour and the actor had impeccable timing, delivering his lines just at the right moment.

The plot is twisted but not implausible. By mid-play they've proven that just about everyone could be the murderer. I had two theories about who the murder was and it turns out that if I put them together, I would have been right. There were enough subtle clues that I didn't pick up on initially but meant that I had a good think about all the details on the subway ride home.

No comments:

Post a Comment