Monday, April 11, 2011

Beer Reviews

I've been writing very girly posts lately. I think it's time I tip the scale back in the other direction. Beer.

As many of you know I've had some health problems that limited my diet and that included no beer. When I got to England, I still was not having any beer. No beer in the UK is no fun for me, so I conducted a little experiment way back when my friend Sam came over from Amsterdam for a visit. I had a half pint and everything was okay. No stomach screaming at me. So very modest beer drinking has occurred ever since. Here are most of the beers I've tried.

Badger Dandelion Organic Ale



I chose this because it sounded like it would either be fantastic or terrible. It is fantastic. Very similar to othe organic ales, like Mill Street's, but the dandelion adds another flavour which is hard to describe. Maybe something that tastes like honey without being really sweet.

The Greenwich Brewery's Meantime Raspberry Ale


I know you can get some of the Meantime ales back home, but I wasn't sure if this one was available so I tried it. I find that fruity beers are either have a good balance of flavours or are way too fruity. This one was okay, but not the best I've had.

The Co-operative Bumble Bee Honey Ale


The Co-operative is a chain of grocery stores who also own funeral homes (very random). This was a good dessert beer- it went very nicely with the peanut butter cookies I was making (and eating). However, this is a big bottle of beer and it's too sweet to drink a lot of it at once. If they bottled it in little bottles (think the size that Mill Street originally had for their Organic Beer or even a stubby) that would be much better.

Fuller's Discovery

Louise, the other intern at work and my partner-in-crime for the Royal Fusiliers Museum installation, got very excited when I told her Canadian girls drink beer. So after the last day of installation she took me to the nearest pub by the Tower of London. It has the best name ever.



I had two pints of this.



Fuller's is an old independent brewery in London and it is served everywhere. Discovery is one of their newer beers (being developed in the 1980's). It is a blonde ale and it is fantastic. Very drinkable beer. Good to sip while looking up things on Louise's i-phone and getting her to like hockey- a perfectly natural thing to do in a London pub, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment