Friday, July 19, 2013

A Post for Alison


My friend Alison is a painter who likes a very specific subject matter- she paints abandoned storefronts. I happened to see her the day before I left for my trip and she reminded me to see if I could find any photos for her. Normally if I find something I just e-mail them to her. Not only did I find a number of empty stores to photograph in Paris for her, one of them has an interesting history so I thought it was worth a posting. Also, it seemed appropriate to write about this the day after Detroit declared bankruptcy- Alison refers to it as her ‘Mecca’ given that the city has 78 000 abandoned building within its limits. But back to Paris...

I found modern-looking storefronts in older buildings, this was located near the Louvre...


I found a burned out building and an empty corner shop near the Cemetiere du Pere Lachaise...
 
 

But I hit paydirt when I found the complex of three empty La Samaritaine department stores near where I am staying...
 

La Samaritaine was expanded from a small store to something that takes up an entire city block (one of the buildings is eleven stories high). The expansion began in 1883 by slowing buying up neighbouring shops and in 1903-1907 the main building was redone, so the exterior is an excellent example of Art Nouveau. This is the entrance to the largest building...


 
And the tile work continues down side of the building...


 
 There were also two other stores nearby that were smaller by comparison but rather larger compared to everything else in the area. Think of an entire department store roughly the size of the Eaton Centre in Toronto and you’ll get sense of scale of the size and number of buildings the department store takes up...
 

 
The company had been losing money since the 1970’s and was finally purchased in 2001 by the luxury conglomerate LVMH. In 2005 the building was closed because it couldn’t meet health and safety regulations and is set to reopen as a hotel and mixed retail in 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment