Saturday, July 6, 2013

Everyone's Favourite Girdle


So I’ve realized part of the problem with my lack-of-blogging. I have too many distractions in my regular life. Stick me in an airport with a 45 minute delay and I promptly start blogging.

So really, I just need to visit airports more often. Problem solved.

Anyway, I’m catching up on some of the things I’ve been meaning to post. This is from October. I had intended to take some photos of one interesting piece from some of the exhibits at work and write a post about them. I’m partially doing this because I work in a department of one, so there really isn’t anyone else to show off my handiwork to. Also, generally if I’m done my job well most museum visitors will not notice how I’ve prepared a piece, which is the point- people come to museums to look at the pretty objects not the mounts they are displayed on. I’m also a big nerd who gets excited about conservation, so any excuse to share is good in my book.

This is from the show ‘Natural Resources’ and it’s how to make a heavy and fragile rain cape float. This rain cape from Japan, to be exact....




It’s mainly a back piece that is held by a strap that the wearer holds as he bends over and walks wearing what is generally a ceremonial piece. My problem is that my mannequin can’t hold anything with that degree of accuracy. Or bend over at all. My solution? Meet what I called the ‘man girdle’.
 
 

I sewed a large rectangle of cotton fabric around the mannequin’s waist area, with four straps sewn to it to keep it from shifting which were securely tied around his naughty bits. I then sewed a loop to the girdle which hooked around the strap of the rain cape to hold it in place. This made sure that nothing would shift but was also invisible when the kimono was wrapped over it.

 


Perfect. The cape may have lost some bits from unwanted visitor touching, but it didn't shift during the exhibit.

No comments:

Post a Comment