Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Bike Envy


While I might like my blue and white one-speed coaster bike (I’ve never owned a bike with hand brakes), it’s my Dad who *really* likes bikes. When out in public with him, his gaze will wander when he sees a vintage-looking bike, preferably a coaster bike. I refer to this as ‘bike envy’. Here in Amsterdam, my Dad has serious bike envy. There is pretty much any kind of bicycle imaginable here and some things you didn’t know existed. About the only thing we haven’t seen on a bike yet is a banana seat, but it’s only a matter of time.
The city has narrow roads and is well set-up for travel by bicycle, so there are a lot of bikes here. And when I say a lot I'm really not exaggerating, as you can see from this photo I took at Dam Square...
 
There are bicycles that are decorated with bright paint jobs and graphics...
 
 
Bikes are often used for more then one passenger. Sometimes people ride on the parcel rack on the back, sitting side saddle. There are also lots of child and baby seats often mounted in front of the rider...
 
But our favourite are the basic, utilitarian bicycles. They are beat up, rusty, and well-loved means of transportation...
 
This black model, which really is representative of many different bikes all over the city, is possibly our favourite...
 
I guess you can say that the Anderson's really appreciate a good shit kicker bicycle. Once I saw the rusted, backwards light I knew I had found a winner.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment